About Chris' Famous Hotdogs
Dexter Avenue in Montgomery, Alabama has been at the front door of many historical moments. The order to start the American Civil War was sent by telegram from Dexter Avenue. In April, 1886 the “Lightning Route,” America’s first electric street car system, began transporting riders on Dexter Avenue. Later, among the wonderful ironies of history, on the very same street, Martin Luther King, Jr. accepted his call to ministry, and in that church, began America’s march toward civil rights for all. Rosa Parks refused to give up her bus seat on the same street. Dexter has been an avenue of change over its many years. Much of America’s history has been marked by events that occurred on this street, and for a century, there has been a constant presence, Chris' Hotdogs.
Founded in 1917, Chris' Hotdogs have been enjoyed by every walk of life. Chris’ is a place where everyone, including young and old, rich and poor, black and white, from any country are welcome and can all dine harmoniously in this wonderful institution. We’ve had customers from every state in the Union, and countless guests from other countries. Some of our more notable patrons include Franklin D. Roosevelt (who would frequently ask for a box of the world famous hot dogs as his train stopped in Montgomery’s Union Station), Harry Truman, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Presidents Bush 41 & 43, Jimmy Stewart, Elvis Presley, Hank Williams, Clark Gable, Tallulah Bankhead, countless sports stars and every Alabama Governor since 1917.
Please join us and be included in the history of Chris’ Famous Hotdogs. We would love to meet you.
Chris' Hotdogs Interesting facts:
- Christopher Anastasios "Chris" Katechis, a Greek immigrant, opened Chris' Hotdogs on May 1st, 1917
- Chris' building was built in 1900 and was originally the Post Office Cafe & Fruit Stand because it was next to the old post office. It did not have doors on the building until the 30's or 40's
- The restaurant offered curb service until the 60's
- Largest hotdog order was 2600 hot dogs for the commissioning of the USS Montgomery on September 10th, 2016 down in Mobile, AL . The previous record was 2000 hot dogs for the 1963 campaign rally for George Wallace
- Our (now famous) chili sauce has been shipped to Australia, Germany and Alaska
- Our famous chili sauce recipe (known by two or three living persons) is the result or trial-and-error attempts by Mr. Chris
- Theo makes approximately 10 gallons of chili sauce every other day
- Chris' Hotdogs is the oldest family owned and operated restaurant in Montgomery, Alabama
- F. Scott Fitzgerald (author of The Great Gatsby) and his wife Zelda Fitzgerald (native of Montgomery Alabama) were regular customers of Chris' Famous Hotdogs in the 1920's.
Christopher Anastasios Katechis
138 Dexter Avenue
Montgomery, AL 36104
Mon-Thurs: 10:00am - 7:00pm
Friday: 10:00am - 8:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm
We Are Writing A Book!
We would love to hear your stories! Have you been to Chris' Famous Hotdogs in the last 100 years? First Date? Chris before a movie at the Paramount? How old were you when you had your first Chris' Hotdog? What are your most favorite memories at Chris' Hotdogs? Please fill out this short questionnaire and your Chris' Hotdogs story might make it in our book!